DREAM BIG blog series: Beth Mulkerron, Actress and singer


What is your official job/job title?
Beth Mulkerron at 12
 
I am fortunate enough to have a career as a professional actress and singer. 


 What do you like most about your job?
Everything. I am a grown up who gets to play pretend with my friends. Does it get any better than that?
 
What do you like least about it?
I guess I would have to say memorizing is the part I like the least. Trying to get all the exactly right words, notes and dance steps in my brain seems to be the most challenging. 

Did you always want to be an actress and singer?
Yep. I guess I didn't know it was actually possible to make a living doing it until a lot older, but it is what I always wanted to do. 


What was your dream job when you were 12 years old?
Being Eponine in Les Miserables 

If you could do any other job in the world, what would it be?
I don't think I could go without performing. Thankfully the other job I DO get to do is being a mom. 

How long did it take to become an actress and singer, and what did you have to do?
I've been practicing for this job really since I could walk. My mom has recordings of me singing "Guys and Dolls" at age 2. I took years of dance and voice, auditioned for every show I could get to, and studied extensively at college and across the country. 

Beth Mulkerron
What was the biggest obstacle you’ve had to overcome to achieve your dream?
There is a lot of rejection that comes with this profession. It is a challenge to keep your confidence throughout it all. 

Was there ever a time that you almost gave up on your dream?  What kept you going?
I thought about giving up plenty of times.  I moved to New York 3 weeks before September 11th. Trying to make it in the theatrical world at such a tough economic and emotional time was daunting. I am grateful for my success every day.

What advice would you give to someone considering this career path?
If you want it, don't ever give up. Discipline and determination get you to the door of success. Believing in yourself is the way you get to walk through it. In the past few weeks I've been told on multiple occasions that you just have to remember, "YOU are enough." When you can believe that, you can achieve anything. But it is important to measure success by your own standards, not someone else's. Everyday I just ask for the opportunity to work consistently and to be able to grow as a performer. To me, that's success.


Currently Beth can be seen in First Stage's production of BIG, THE MUSICAL through November 11.  This marks her 10th production with First Stage!  For more information about BIG, THE MUSICAL, click here.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.