DREAM BIG blog series: Yuki Clark, Leading Artist, Milwaukee Ballet

In BIG, THE MUSICAL 12- year-old Josh Baskin makes a wish to become "big" and wakes up to find his wish has been granted! Big Josh then lands a "dream job" at MacMillian Toys.

First Stage's DREAM BIG blog series  continues with Yuki Clark as we highlight people who have acheived success and have their "dream job." How did they get where they are? What did it take? Find out as we inspire our audiences to DREAM BIG!






Yuki Clark age 12
What is your official job/job title?
Leading Artist/Ballet Dancer at Milwaukee Ballet

What do you like most about your job?
Performing onstage for an audience

What do you like least about it?
Rehearsing indoors on days that it is beautiful outside.

Did you always want to be a dancer?

Yes!
What was your dream job when you were 12 years old?
To become a principle dancer for a Ballet Company.

If you could do any other job in the world, what would it be?
If I had to pick another career it would be Pastry Chef.

How long did it take to become a dancer, and what did you have to do?
I have trained my entire life to be where I am today. As a very little girl at the age of 4, I began taking ballet class. At age 12 I began competing and training with coaches to build my skills and prepare for professional dance work. At 17 I moved to St. Petersburg Russia for two years to train at the prestigious Vaganova Ballet Academy. In 2001, I was cast in a performance in New York City at Lincoln Center's Alice Tulley Hall, where I was seen by a Director from an American company who offered me a contract to dance in the US. I worked for several other companies around the US, and then found my home here with Milwaukee Ballet.
What was the biggest obstacle you’ve had to overcome to achieve your dream?
This past year, I was injured and have only recently been able to dance again. I am so pleased and proud to be making my return to the stage.

Yuki Clark
Photo:  Jessica Kaminski
Was there ever a time that you almost gave up on your dream?  What kept you going?
I really haven't ever thought about giving up. I love dance, and that though, along with the support of my family, keeps me believing in myself.
What advice would you give to someone considering this career path?
Hard work is what makes Ballet so beautiful. If you are willing to dedicate your life to this art form and put in a ton of work, there is no limit to where it can take you.
 
More about Yuki Clark, click here.

Milwaukee Ballet opens the 2012-13 season with La Bohème, showing October 18-21 at the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.