From the Director of ANTARCTICA, WI -- Malkia Stampley

Milwaukee is my birth place and where I decided to move back after being away for several years. While away from home, I realized my hometown was not like most other American cities. Milwaukee has repeatedly been ranked the most segregated city in the nation; one of the fastest growing cities in the country evidenced by tons of urban development; and yet, being one of the worst American cities for African-Americans to live and raise a family. The highest incarceration rate in the world is in Milwaukee’s 53206 zip code, about two miles from where you are seated, where I grew up.
Director Malkia Stampley in rehearsal for ANTARCTICA, WI

But, after each of these heart-breaking discoveries, I realized Milwaukee, no matter the challenges, is my home, my foundation, my city, where I had my first kiss, met my best friend, had some amazing memories…and no one can take that from me.

Antarctica, WI takes place in Milwaukee, featuring a special group of teens who know that our city is flawed but is nonetheless theirs. Amidst trying to figure out who likes who and where to hang out, our city’s teen are deeply affected by anxiety, bullying, segregation, violence, drugs, depression and self-identity.

It saddens me to know that it is rare to find a culturally diverse group of teens represented by the actors in our play hanging out together in many Milwaukee neighborhoods, but I am hopeful that these same teens and many others at First Stage will be the spark and ambassador for change in their communities and schools.  

The unrest in Sherman Park, summer of 2016, following the killing of a Sherman Park resident by a Milwaukee Police officer, was eye-opening for Milwaukee residents and the country. Something was stirring in our city underneath the surface for decades, the root and cause of it complex but visible if we dared to look and most importantly, listen. The unrest sparked several city initiatives and conversations, including what resulted in our play, ANTARCTICA, WI!

Milwaukee no longer has a variety of malls or spots for teens to hang out at and most malls in the suburbs are not close for those without transportation and have a reputation of being unkind and unwelcoming to Milwaukee teens, especially teens of color. The days of hanging out at the Grand Avenue Mall, Capitol Court, Northridge Mall, on Capitol Drive are gone. There are very limited public teen-friendly places, so for those who do not live in or have access to trendy areas like the Eastside or Bayview, making the best of one’s particular neighborhood becomes necessary which makes the loss of a special hangout spot sometimes devastating.


The adults of our city have solutions, policies, ideas to implement for most situations, but I am increasingly in awe of the teens in our city and around the country who have decided to speak for themselves and invoke a fearless warrior spirit when they have had enough and can no longer wait for adults to figure it out. Teens are finding their voices in their small neighborhoods, their cities and their country and I am proud. 

ANTARCTICA, WI marks Ms. Stampley's First Stage directorial debut. This world premiere play runs April 6 -22, 2018 at the Marcus Center's Todd Wehr Theater. Details & tickets are on the First Stage website.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.