From Mary Jensik: First Stage Young Company to compete in Utah Shakespeare Festival

11:23 AM

Four years ago, I remember sending off Team Yorick and being amazed by the talent of the group of students as they headed out to compete in Utah. This group of seniors were so inspiring to me, and I had  much hope that someday I would become that confident and well spoken. 


Every year, the First Stage Young Company sends a group of students to perform at the Utah Shakespeare Festival. This team is made up of highly dedicated individuals with classical training. The goal is to build our craft and compete. 


Mary Jensik
Today, I am getting ready to leave for the same trip, with the same kind of beautiful people around me. I can hardly believe that I have grown to be where I am today, and that I now get to travel and do what I love – Perform!

Since getting selected to be on the team last March, I have been in patiently waiting for rehearsals to begin! Being on the team is such an important part of my senior year, and I could not wait to start this amazing journey. When we started rehearsal early in September, the team and I were ecstatic! 

The month went by fast, but we have grown so much through team bonding, rehearsal, and viewpoints. The team is compiled of 15 high school seniors, whom all share a passion for Shakespeare. We come from different schools and backgrounds with different pasts and futures, but we all come together in this moment to create art. Lead by First Stage's Director of Young Company Matt Daniels and  Director of Artistic Development John Maclay, we have created multiple scenes from various Shakespeare works. 

Now that the rehearsals are over, the only thing left to do is perform! This weekend (Sept. 27-29), stay tune for a check in at individual events via First Stage’s Instagram (@first.stage). I’ll give updates on how our team is doing and give you a chance to get to know a bunch of really cool and Shakespeare loving teens (#utahshakes)! 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.