Positively Inspiring: Kate Ketelhohn

By Susie Robinson

When asked how she feels about her recent win of the TODAY’S TMJ4’s Positively Milwaukee Inspiring Youth Award, Kate Ketelhohn responds, It was incredible to win that award, but also very shocking because my life doesn’t seem that special or unique, since it’s my life. My life is just my life, so it’s normal.”

Kate is humble.

TODAY’s TMJ4’s Second Annual Positively Milwaukee Awards honor everyday heroes in southeast Wisconsin. As event host and WTMJ-TV anchor Carole Meekins says, the show highlights what is right in the world. Kate is a bright light among those in our community who are using their time and talents to make a positive impact in the lives of others.

Kate delivers her acceptance speech
A true First Stager, Kate has become a very familiar face around the organization and community. She has been taking Theater Academy classes for the past eight years, has been a young performer in three First Stage productions, has served as a Theater Academy and Next Steps intern for three years, has been a Young Company member for the past two years, and currently serves on First Stage’s Student Advisory Board. She is also a fantastic advocate for First Stage and the United Performing Arts Fund (UPAF) when she shares her story on how the arts have touched her life at UPAF’s Workplace Giving Campaigns and events throughout the year.

Kate explains what keeps her busy as of late.

“I was just elected as the Activities and Community Outreach Coordinator for the Student Advisory Board. Some of my duties include coming up with fundraisers, going into the community to talk about First Stage and the Student Advisory Board, and organizing events for the Student Advisory Board members. When I'm not at a First Stage, I'm knee deep with activities at my school. I'm the founder and teacher of my school's Writing Club, and I'm a member of Math Team, Book Club, and New Friends. Last year, I played the role of JoJo in my school's production of SEUSSICAL. I can't wait to do more shows with my school!”

Kate is passionate.

Outside of her First Stage and school activities, Kate has also been writing a Young Adult Fantasy novel series—which she has been in the process of for the past four years.

“My novel series is called The Worlds in the Clouds. I currently have the first three books written. Their working titles are Between Worlds, Trapped in a World, and Within the Worlds. I'm currently half done with the fourth book, The Way of the Worlds, and I will be starting the final book, Worlds Transfixed, soon. I'm just about to start the long publishing process for them. The books are currently being polished so I can send them to several literary agents that have shown interest in me.”

Kate is driven.

Kate and her family
People describe Kate as gentle and graceful with great resiliency and strength. Even at her young age of 15 years, she understands that she has the capacity to inspire others. To better understand, she shares her story from the very beginning:

“When I was an infant, I contracted Strep A. Bacterial Blood Infection—which is sometimes called the flesh eating disease. Normally, people would die at any age from this, but I survived with plenty of scars, a missing left hand, missing feet, and no fingertips on my right hand. Even through all of this, I still am a busy girl who has plenty of friends, runs around, and has a passion for writing, reading and theater.

First Stage has been a place I’ve always been welcomed. Life outside of First Stage has not always been easy for me. I can’t go to any public place without being stared at by children and adults. First Stage was the first place I felt extremely welcomed for who I was. I learned how not to be bothered by people’s stares and in fact, how to flourish in them—to enjoy the spotlight. It also opened a new outlook in life for me that I could do things equally with others without being downgraded for being different. Children’s Hospital may have saved me physically, but the arts saved me mentally.

Because of the welcoming feeling I received at First Stage, I love giving the same feeling to other people. I’ve been a Next Steps intern for years. The last few years I have seen the students grow so much. From a girl running for the first time in thirteen years, to a student being able to focus enough to read a script. Watching their stories unfold in class has been like a fairytale. It’s truly been a magical experience.”

Her outlook on life and love of the arts have gotten her through a lot of pain that most of us could never imagine. She is also a compassionate leader in the classroom and is a natural with the students in Next Steps—First Stage’s Theater Academy classes tailored specifically for children on the autism spectrum.

Kate is positively inspiring.

You can watch the full TODAY’s TMJ4’s Positively Milwaukee Awards presentation here: https://www.tmj4.com/awards. Kate’s Inspiring Youth Award acceptance speech is at 1:17:27. The award ceremony was presented at the Harley Davidson Museum, and was first aired on September 20, 2018. It will be reaired throughout the upcoming Thanksgiving and holiday season on TMJ4.

Be sure to watch for Kate as a “Lost Boy” in First Stage’s upcoming production of TINKER BELL running from April 26 to June 2, 2019 in the Todd Wehr Theater at the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.