Leaders of Tomorrow: Hannah Lipscomb

Hannah at the 2019 Utah Shakespeare Festival
First Stage intentionally seeks input from the varied voices of our diverse community, particularly those of our young people. First Stage took a moment to catch up with one of our youth leaders—former Board Member, and current Student Advisory Board Member, Hannah Lipscomb.

Tell us about First Stage’s Student Advisory Board.
The Student Advisory Board exists so that students can share input with the First Stage staff about how the organization can improve. Since First Stage serves young people, it is important for those young people to be able to share their thoughts on the improvements First Stage could make.

The Student Advisory Board helps decide what classes First Stage should run, they talk with many of First Stage’s department directors, and they volunteer at many First Stage events such as the Make Believe Ball.

I joined the Student Advisory Board when it was first created about eight years ago. I was one of three members then, and now I am one of 25 members. It has grown so much since then!

Tell us about your experience as a First Stage Board Member.
For me it was an incredible opportunity to see the other side of First Stage. I have been a First Stage student for more than a decade, and as a student, I didn’t have a full understanding of what it took to run such a large nonprofit.

As a board member, I not only gained understanding but I also gained a lot of confidence. I had to learn how to voice my opinions to a room full of adults. While they are all very lovely individuals, they can be pretty intimidating to a high school student.

What most surprised you as a Board Member?
I was surprised most by how the adult Board Members love having student representatives on the board. I guess I didn’t expect how much they wanted to hear from me. They would ask me questions during meetings, and they often approached me after meetings wanting to get to know me as a person. I really felt listened to.

What is the connection between the Student Advisory Board and the full Board of Directors?
The two Board student representatives represent the voice of the Student Advisory Board. They make sure the opinions of the Student Advisory Board members are heard at the full Board Meetings, and they report any important Board updates to the Student Advisory Board.

What are some of your favorite memories from your time on the First Stage Board?
One of my favorite memories is when we got to find out and help decide upon the upcoming seasons of theater productions. I felt like a real insider at First Stage!

My other favorite memory happened after a committee meeting when one of the adult committee members told me how much she enjoyed that I was a part of their meetings. This was the first time that an adult had come up to me and said that, so I felt really special.

Why do you think it is valuable to have student representatives on the Board?
I think it is valuable to have student representatives on the Board because First Stage directly serves the youth, and in order to serve youth effectively, First Stage needs the voices and opinions of whom they serve. In addition, by giving students the opportunity to serve on the full board is an experience that provides another way to teach valuable life skills through stage skills.

How did you benefit from this leadership experience?
When I first joined the board, I was terrified to voice my opinion in the room; however, with the welcoming environment of the board, I gained confidence and learned to not be as afraid to share my opinions. I also learned how to effectively run a meeting—something that has helped me run school meetings for my choir council and swim team.

What advice would you give First Stage’s incoming Board Student Representatives about their upcoming service?
I would tell them to not be afraid of sharing their opinions on the board from the very beginning. The adults in the room want to know what you think and what you have to say!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.