First Stage looks for the next Erica Davis Memorial Scholarship Award Winner


Two years ago, the First Stage family lost one of its cherished members—Erica Davis.

Erica served on First Stage’s Marketing team for seven years (2011-2018). With firsthand knowledge of theater’s power to change lives, she not only worked for First Stage but her children also attended the Theater Academy and took the skills they learned out into the world.

Erica embodied the qualities everyone wishes they had... She was funny, loyal, bold, caring, and a born leader. She was always ready to take charge. Erica fought her illness with so much grace, humor, and fierce determination. While she may have lost the battle, she never gave up the fight.

Erica’s memory lives on through the Erica Davis Memorial Scholarship Fund. This fund offers a one-time scholarship award of $500 to a First Stage student who displays a commitment to serving others (in school, their community, or at home), has a strong work ethic and leadership qualities, and embodies the ideas within the First Stage Cheer.


First Stage intends to support the award recipient’s next step after high school graduation. That next step can be anything that will utilize the skills they learned at First Stage to help them to pursue their dream—whether that be to attend college, invest in a passion, or take a trip…

Everyone has a dream and First Stage wants to help you pursue yours.

First Stage is looking for the 2020 Erica Davis Memorial Scholarship Award Winner. Learn more about applicant qualifications and apply here before June 30, 2020.

Last year’s Erica Davis Memorial Scholarship Award Winner, Rachel Young (pictured below), recently spoke with First Stage.


What next step did this award help you accomplish?
This scholarship has helped me begin my college career at the University of Dayton. I am double-majoring in communication with a concentration in public relations and Spanish.

Moving into this next stage of my life with the support of First Stage, a place that has been my second home for many years, is incredibly meaningful. I was also honored to be recognized as someone who embodies the characteristics of such a well-loved individual. It was powerful reassurance that I am on the right path.

What did you learn during this next step?
Since beginning my journey at the University of Dayton, I have learned countless lessons. Not only have I learned more than I could have imagined was possible in the classroom, but I have also learned that I am capable of great things far from home.

Adjusting to life on my own has been a challenge, but I have come to realize that I can do anything I put my mind to even if I am 400 miles from home. Although some days have been incredibly tough, I have been fiercely determined to stay the course, take in everything college has to offer, and not let homesickness get the best of me.

How has this award and experience shaped your future goals and aspirations?
I have said this over and over throughout the years, but it bears repeating: I would not be who I am today without First Stage. First Stage helped developed my confidence, public speaking skills, empathy, and leadership skills, and I will always be grateful for the lessons I learned and the people who taught me during my time at First Stage. 

Thank you for helping support my freshman year at University of Dayton. This year I have grown inside and outside of the classroom. I’ve made meaningful friendships, joined clubs that allow me to enrich my faith and to continue working with children (something I miss a great deal from interning at First Stage), and I am proud to share my cumulative GPA stands at a 4.0. The academic success I’ve found so far has proven to me that I have made the right decision in pursuing a career in communication.

This award is not the end of my First Stage experience… no matter what, I will always carry it with me in a special place in my heart.

Thank you, Rachel, for the honor you have brought to Erica’s memory. As you continue to navigate your college career may grace, humor, and determination continue to guide your way.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.