Mary Jensik Awarded Lois Lowry Scholarship

11:04 AM
“First Stage is my Hogwarts, and it’s filled with magic that I help create. The magic is from the community that is created, and I am so lucky to be a part of the First Stage family. I don't know who I'd be without First Stage!” – Mary Jensik, 2018 Lois Lowry Award recipient

On the opening night of GIRLS IN THE BOAT, a world premiere play, high school senior Mary Jensik was awarded the Lois Lowry Scholarship. This prestigious scholarship is given annually to a worthy student who participated throughout the year in First Stage’s Theater Academy, and it pays for any Academy course in which the recipient enrolls.

First Stage’s Director of Young Company Matt Daniels shared Mary is a gifted, dedicated and driven actress. “My first project with Mary was directing her as Hyppolita in A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM (2015),” Daniels said. “She was new to the classical theater program at First Stage, but she immediately made a profound impression as a rigorous student and a curious artist.”

Jensik is a hard worker on and off stage, and she’s a great role model for her peers. First Stage’s Director of Artistic Development John Maclay added “She’s a true artist in that she is in the work to make the work great- not for personal vanity,” he said. “She is an incredibly gifted performer, and she might be an even better human.”

Daniels further echoed “Mary is also a terrific ambassador of the First Stage motto: Life Skills Through Stage Skills,” He said. “Choosing to intern with younger students in the Academy, she is a role model who is not afraid to lead by taking risks, failing boldly, and conquering fears.”


Jensik is proud to have received the Lois Lowry Scholarship, and she feels her confidence has grown during her time at First Stage, shaping her into the best version of herself.

As I've grown over the years, I have made great strides in my work, but that's a difficult thing to show on my resume,” Jensik said. “We don't get grades for theater. Acting is very subjective. There is no clear division between good and bad art. Sometimes it’s hard to feel validated because an actor is never able to tangibly see how their art impacts others. So when I received the award, it provided objective proof that my work as an actor matters. And that feels pretty freaking great!”

She credits her first Stage family for helping her realize her full potential. “Every director I've had, friend I've made, and cast mate I've performed with has helped me realize who I am and what it means to be an actor,” Jensik said.


Jensik plays Girl 3 in the production of GIRLS IN THE BOAT, which runs through Dec. 16

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.