Supporting Educators: School Membership Package

The crisp, cool autumn air indicates the changing routines of a new school year. While this school year looks a lot different, First Stage continues to provide engaging, creative, and educational enrichment to young people… now by virtual means.


2019 First Stage arts-integrated workshop at Parkside

As First Stage considered how to adapt our theater programming for this time, we consulted with our partner schools and educators to learn what would best serve their needs. Educators asked for content that could be implemented at any time and that would help their classroom meet their learning objectives.

 

In response, First Stage developed our new on-demand virtual workshops. As with all First Stage Theater in Education programs, these virtual workshops are linked to Common Core Standards and actively engage K3-8th grade students in learning. These workshops are pre-recorded and succinct, and follow responsive teaching methodologies—providing the opportunity for active engagement and creativity.

 

Through our School Membership Package, schools and community organizations will receive unlimited access throughout the 2020/2021 school year to a large variety of workshops and related, supplementary materials. Schools also have the opportunity to book Virtual Field Trips, where they receive our virtual productions and related workshops.

 

Among the first to sign up for the School Membership Package was our longtime partner, Milwaukee Parkside School for the Arts. Jen Bertrand-LaDuke, third grade teacher at Parkside, shared about her previous experience of working with First Stage and her excitement for the opportunity to continue incorporating First Stage programming during the school day even through this difficult time.

Over the past two years, my class got an amazing experience of working weekly with a First Stage Teaching Artist through the Partnership Program to prepare for the upcoming theater production we would see.

 

My class loved the relationship we built with our First Stage instructor. They adored him and he worked hard to create an environment where kids felt safe to be creative, silly and participate. I loved being able to participate with my kids in the classes. Working together through some of the theater games and exercises was an excellent way to build community in my classroom. 

 

I think the weekly experiences helped prepare my students for seeing the actual theater performance, but even more so, it gave them information about how we get to have these shows—all the behind the scenes work that goes into creating a show. I liked that students also got to learn about the many jobs available in the theater field.

 

At first, I was taken back by the amount of time that would go into the weekly First Stage classes. I thought they would take away from my curriculum and classroom goals; however, they did the opposite. They really enriched my writing lessons, developed community within my classroom, and gave my students another outlet for creativity.

 

I truly am looking forward to utilizing the School Membership Package workshops in my classroom this school year, and I am grateful for the opportunity to continue enriching my classroom’s development. I’m super excited!

 

Thank you First Stage!

2019 First Stage arts-integrated workshop at Parkside

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.