Our People, Their Profile | Nikki Kulas, Properties Master

This season has been like no other. In order to help First Stage endure the devastating financial effects of COVID-19, we created the special relief initiative—the HOPE Fund. Donations to the HOPE Fund will Help Our People Engage, Enlighten, Entertain, and Educate by supporting the talented First Stage staff who provide HOPE for thousands of young people and families. All charitable gifts made to the HOPE Fund before June 30, 2021 will be matched 1-to-1, up to $50,000—thanks to another generous matching gift from the Molitor Foundation.

 

First Stage had the chance to catch up with our Properties Master, Nikki Kulas, to learn more about her First Stage story.

 

Nikki has been working in her role at First Stage for seven seasons.

 

What are your responsibilities as the Properties Master?

 

I am responsible for all the props and set dressing for the productions at First Stage—interacting with many of the production and design teams to fulfill the vision of the productions.

 

How do you connect with young people at First Stage?

 

In rehearsals, I work with adult actors and young performers on their prop needs, uses, and answering any questions they may have. I also teach Theater Academy classes that focus on props and puppets, as well as provide props assistance to the Theater Academy Company Classes when needed.

 

What do you enjoy doing outside of work? 

 

I enjoy doing crafts at home. My current projects are resin art, cross-stitch, sewing, and repairing statues. This summer, I made a large wall-hanging quilt of Cthulhu for my bedroom. I also try to get out to the country as much as possible where I enjoy motor sports—ATVs, go-carts, motorcycles, and trucks. My father and I each have a classic truck that we take to car and truck shows together. Fishing and boating are another hobby of mine that I like to do as much as possible at my family’s cabin up north.

 

Lastly, I love to travel. My travel companions are two stuffed dinosaurs named Godzilla and Bronco (one day I would like to publish a book of their adventures). I was able to take the train out to Montana/Yellowstone with them a few years ago. We also drove around Ireland and Northern Ireland a couple summers ago. Unfortunately, I had to delay a trip to Nova Scotia, Scotland, and Ireland this past summer due to the pandemic, but I’m hoping I can still do that in the next year or so, and maybe take a road trip through Wyoming or Route 66 in the near future.   

  

How has working at First Stage affected you?

 

One of my favorite things to see young performers’ faces when things click for them and they finally understand a note. It sounds weird, but there are so many things going on in rehearsals and the tech process that can pull focus. Sometimes actors are given the same note a few times or they can’t figure out a prop or blocking because they are processing so many different things at once. So, it really feels good when you see that revelation on their face when they get it, and everything works the way they want it to. Sometimes this happens on their own and you just get to watch it happen. Other times it’s when we are working something one on one, and that isolated focus is what they needed for everything to fall into place.

 

What does your craft mean to you?

 

In props, we need to know carpentry, metal work, sewing, electrical wiring, molding/casting, painting, upholstery, and a ton of other skills. This means we are never bored, but it also means we are always exploring and learning. Many of my personal art and etsy items come from a place of exploring different techniques and skills to see what is possible for that potential future project.

 

When I was young, I learned woodworking and welding from my dad, my mom was always doing crafts with me, and my grandma taught me to sew. This constant learning process has stuck with me throughout the years, and I find it hard to have idle hands. I just want to keep busy and keep creating in whatever form sounds fun.

 

Check out my personal art on the First Stage Market Etsy shop and my personal shop - https://www.etsy.com/shop/KulasShop.

 

What does the HOPE Fund mean to you?

 

I have a lot of friends and colleagues around the country who have lost their jobs during the pandemic and some have even left theater altogether. Many places laid off their production staff and designers leaving them on their own without insurance or pay during a worldwide pandemic. Since a lot of them are independent contracts, they couldn’t get the same unemployment insurance that others were able to get leaving them without income for months.

 

I am grateful to First Stage that not only do I have a job right now, but that our props artisan and our production staff do as well. It is not something to take lightly after the struggles of the past year. Thank you for supporting the HOPE Fund—it’s what has kept us employed during this difficult time. I encourage anyone who is able to donate, please consider it… this fund allows us to keep producing the theater that we love and our community needs.

 

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.