Supporter Spotlight: Facebook Fundraiser, Phillip J. Berns

Earlier this fall, First Stage received the notification that our organization had benefited from a Facebook Fundraiser. Not only are we grateful for the support we received from the fundraiser but also for the opportunity to learn more about the creator behind it.

 

Phillip J. Berns created the Facebook Fundraiser for his birthday in order to help First Stage continue the work that helps mold young people into artists. As a First Stage alumnus, Phillip participated in the Theater Academy and was a young performer in several First Stage Theater Productions.

 

First Stage had the pleasure to hear more about Phillip and his reasons behind creating the fundraiser.

Tell us more about your history with First Stage.

I started with First Stage way back in 1996 when I played Michael Darling in the production of PETER PAN. Not only was PETER PAN my very first show with First Stage, it was also my very first professional production, and I have been performing ever since. 

 

Now, you'll have to forgive my memory, as I cannot recall if I heard about the PETER PAN audition through the Theater Academy, or if I heard about the Academy through PETER PAN, either way, it was around this time that I also started at the Summer Academy, starting with two and four-week courses.

 

Eventually, I became an intern, was a member of the very first Young Company, and ultimately worked as a Teaching Assistant as I studied Theatre Arts at Marquette University. I also never stopped performing with First Stage, even through high school. I even got to perform at the Make Believe Ball one year!

 

I really feel like I grew up with First Stage. I got to be there when the Milwaukee Youth Arts Center (MYAC) was being built. I also got to see the Theater Academy evolve into what it is today (or, at least, what it was when I moved in 2009). 

What inspired you to create this fundraiser for First Stage?

I would not be the performer nor the person that I am today without the First Stage experiences I had onstage, backstage, in the classroom, and at the front of it.

 

It was truly my pleasure [to create the fundraiser] and the least I could do for an organization that has given me so much!


How has First Stage made a difference to you?

First Stage truly shaped my craft, but more importantly, it shaped my outlook on the world and how I approach each day. To this day, when I’m in a show or just need a bit of centering, I still practice my three breaths: relax, clear your mind, focus. And, of course, “I can't” still is not in my vocabulary, I still take risks, and I am always conquering my fears.

 

First Stage is incredibly grateful for the generosity of Phillip and others who contribute through Facebook Fundraisers for First Stage. Your gifts help First Stage navigate this challenging time while continuing to transform lives through theater.

 

If you have a birthday or another milestone coming up and you’d like to make it even more meaningful, consider creating a Facebook Fundraiser. Learn how here. 

 

Happy belated birthday, Phillip! And, thank you!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.