Four quick questions with Kate DiCamillo

By Erica Davis

When we learned that acclaimed children's book author Kate DiCamillo would be coming to Milwaukee for a
book talk at Boswell Books, we were thrilled! We had the opportunity to ask her a few questions about our upcoming adaptation of her celebrated book, "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane."
Does it surprise you to see one of your stories on the stage? 
I am not being disingenuous when I say that I am surprised every time one of my stories becomes a *book.* So… to have this story that I wrote alone at my desk in the wee morning hours suddenly become something that people can sit together in a theater and see . . . well, it is a very moving, and unbelievable thing.
What do you hope audiences/readers take away from the story of Edward Tulane?
Hmmm . . . maybe that the biggest and bravest thing you can do is to love.
What is most important about Edward’s journey to you?
The answer is love. Again. Edward learns to love.
When did you know you wanted to be a writer, and what helped you on your path to become an author?
I decided in college that I wanted to be a writer. But it took me a good long time to actually start writing. And what helped me on my path? Books, books, books, librarians, books. Librarians.
About Kate DiCamillo
I was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, raised in Clermont, Florida, and currently live in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I write for both children and adults and I like to think of myself as a storyteller. Here are a few more facts about me: I am short. And loud. I hate to cook and love  to eat. I am single and childless, but I have lots of friends and I am an aunt to three lovely children (Luke, Roxanne, and Max) and one not so lovely dog (Henry). I think of myself as an enormously lucky person: I get to tell stories for a living. Learn more at 
www.katedicamillo.com
First Stage is proud to present The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, January 12 - February 11, 2018 as part of our 2017-2018 season. Choose this show as part of your Family Package, or purchase single tickets after September 1, 2017. Field trip opportunities are available for upper elementary and middle school students and teachers. 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.