Meet Chris: Assistant Headmaster for Next Steps

3:32 PM
When Chris Riebel started as a student at First Stage five years ago, he had no idea he'd one day be a role model for other students. Now, as the Assistant Headmaster of summer Next Steps classes, Chris feels right at home leading groups of more than 20 students through daily warm-ups, social stories about the day ahead and encouragements.

We recently had the chance to chat with Chris about his First Stage experience.


What is your favorite thing about First Stage?
Everyone has a lot of imagination, which reminds of this quote from Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood, “Let’s have some make believe.” I like to use my imagination. Most recently, when I listen to a song on an album and imagine that I’m attending a concert. To help students, I’ve been coming up with ideas like characterizing inanimate objects. We first have to picture the object in our mind as a character, then use our body to show how our character would move around, and our voice to show how the character would sound.

How has your time at First Stage helped you grow as a person? It’s went really well. I continue to think about the three actor tools (voice, body, and imagination) and the use the First Stage Cheer in my everyday life.

What are some "life skills" you have learned at First Stage? I’ve learned a lot about emotions. I also learned that as you prepare for a movie or production, things do change, which is not hard to work with. And you may be asked to deliver your lines differently than you thought, and that’s okay.

As an intern, what did you learn about leading a group of students? I was able to teach students different games, which made me feel really good and confident.

Chris leads a group of students through warm-ups.

How would you describe First Stage to someone who has never been here?
The teachers are so very kind, helpful, and supportive to everyone, and the students conquer challenges really well. Everyone works well together. I feel super happy coming to First Stage, and I get to practice driving here. When I go home, I feel happy about all the work I did.

What advice would you give to a student who is considering taking a class here for the first time? Teachers want us to learn and have fun through circle games, which everyone plays together. I was nervous when I first came here, but you feel happy later on. You’re going to have fun with us!

Is there anything else you would like to add? First Stage makes you feel happy, and there are plenty of experiences. I am happy to be working here since 2012, and hope to keep working here as long as you need me!

When not at First Stage, Chris enjoys riding his bike down the Oakleaf Trail - especially if there's a TV Studio on his route. His favorite segment of the local news is the weather and he visits the AccuWeather website often.

Thank you for all you do for First Stage Chris!

Learn more about our Next Steps students and programming in this video.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.