Meet our 2017-2018 Fellows!

First Stage has successfully trained hundreds of emerging professionals using comprehensive teaching, performance, and leadership experiences to launch their careers as performers and teaching artists. The First Stage Fellowship program caters to an individual’s talents and professional goals as they are immersed into the culture of a successful arts organization for an entire year.
We’re excited to introduce our 2017-2018 First Stage Fellows!

ROBERT TORRES – Production Fellow
Robert Torres

Where are you from?I am from a city on the peninsula of Virginia called Hampton. It is much smaller than Milwaukee but it does have a very big and beautiful coliseum.

Why did you want to be a First Stage Fellow?I wanted to be a part of a theater company that not only made great theater but also had a positive impact on its community.

What do you hope to take away from this experience?Of course I want to learn as much as I can while I am here so that is the overarching goal. More specifically, I want to learn about how theater functions on a professional level.

What are your first impressions of First Stage and Milwaukee?

So far First Stage has been a fantastic place to work and learn. Everyone here is pleasant and helpful and I really feel comfortable here. Milwaukee is a beautiful place, from the mix of vintage and modern architecture, to the illustrious park system, there is a lot to admire about this city.  

Why do you think arts education is so important for young people?The head of the theater department at my school used to say that children are the best actors. What he meant was that the instinct for play and exploration is present in us from an early age and adult hood tends to shy us away from those instincts. I think what makes arts education so important for young people is giving them a structure for those instincts so that as they get older they do not forget how to see the world through a lens of play and exploration. 

What is something that people may not know about you?

I once got lost in Italy because I was trying to buy an orange.

IBRAHEEM FARMER – Teaching Artist Fellow


Tell us about your hometown

Ibraheem Farmer
I come from a little town called Natchitoches in Louisiana or as Louisianans call it, “Da Boot”. Natchitoches is a town most widely known as the “City of Lights” because of its extravagant Christmas lights which are seen along a beautiful riverbank that runs through the city. This stunning scenery is displayed during the Christmas and New Year season.  Natchitoches is also famous for its delicious meat pies!

Why did you want to be a First Stage Fellow?

I really like and believe in First Stage’s motto of Transforming Lives Through Theater. Secondly, I thought this opportunity would be a great way to learn how a professional theatre operates, connect with the next generation of theatre artists, and come into my own as a theatre artists/professional.

What do you hope to take away from this experience?

I hope to discover what I am most passionate about in theatre, who I am as an artist, and create great working relationships.

What are your first impressions of First Stage and Milwaukee?

I believe everyone here believes in First Stage and the mission that it stands for. First Stage is an awesome opportunity for children to learn and grow as individuals, I wish there was a program like this in my hometown. I also think Milwaukee is a great place for exploration and diverse culture.

Why do you think arts education is so important for young people?

Arts education is so important for young people because they learn that they can be who they want to be. Young people learn how powerful their minds can be when they imagine, create, and relate.

Is there anything else you’d like to share about yourself?

I’m not afraid to fail and grow

JUSTIN LEE – Artistic Fellow
Justin Lee

Where are you from?
I’m from Milwaukee – having just moved back after getting my degree from Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio – so I’m very familiar with Milwaukee and First Stage.

Why did you want to be a first stage fellow?
First stage is a magical place and the opportunity to work here as an artistic fellow is a dream come true. The people are truly what make First Stage special. That paired with opportunity to perform makes it the dream job and company!


Why do think arts education is so important for young people?
The life skills that theatre teaches you are so important. Outside of building self-confidence, developing creative thinking skills, but most importantly empathy! Especially with the current state of our world, it’s necessary to teach kids to have compassion for others. So that compassion can fuel their understanding of another's struggles.

What do you hope to take away from this experience?I hope to learn a lot about myself as a performer, but absorb a ton of knowledge from the actors I am around every day. It’s incredibly humbling to share the stage with actors I watched as a kid. I can't to watch them work and learn about the art of acting. 


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.