Family’s Enduring Love in REMEMBERING ABUELITA: Stephanie's Story

By Susan Wiedmeyer

Young Performer, Stephanie Santoyo-Bustos
On October 17, 2017, First Stage kicked off THE FOUNDRY with REMEMBERING ABUELITA, a new play by Alvaro Saar Rios and an inspired adaptation of GHOST WINGS by Barbara Joosse with music composed and arranged by Dinorah Marquez. THE FOUNDRY features four new play readings each season—engaging our community in conversations about the work and the process of creation, as well as providing additional training and performance opportunities for youth and adult actors, writers and directors. All FOUNDRY readings are free and open to the public.

Set in Mexico amidst the monarch butterflies’ annual migration and during the Days of the Dead, REMEMBERING ABUELITA is the touching story of a little girl whose very best friend is her grandmother. But one spring, Grandmother becomes thin as smoke. When she passes, Papa shares, “When you love someone they never really leave.” But to the little girl, Grandmother seems impossibly far away. Who will sing to her? Who will chase the monsters from under her bed? Then, during the Day of the Dead celebrations, something extraordinary happens that brings Papa’s words vividly to life. This poignant message of the endurance of love and the power of memory is sure to touch your heart and encourage family conversations.

Barbara Joosse and Alvaro Saar Rios
Alvaro Saar Rios: “When I read Barbara Joosse’s GHOST WINGS, I was very fascinated with how the butterflies’ return journey to Mexico is connected to Día de Muertos. I thought I knew a lot about Día de Muertos but this opened my eyes to how some communities in Mexico believe that the wings of a butterfly carry the spirits of loved ones home. To me, that is magical and I hope to convey that in my storytelling. 

I think what moves me most about this project is that I get to collaborate with Dinorah Marquez, the founder and director of the Latino Arts Strings Program. From the beginning, I knew this piece would need special music to help fill out the world. There is no one more qualified to do that than Dinorah.”

Barbara Joosse: “This story is about the bond between grandchild and grandparent and is an homage to my own Grampa who built a red log cabin in Northern Wisconsin the year I was born. As a little girl, I couldn’t wait to pick the wild strawberries that grew by the side of the road. But next to the strawberries was a deep dark woods. I could hear bears in there, cracking branches and licking their lips.  I thought, ‘There’s only one thing tastier to bears than strawberries… and that’s ME!’ So I ran back to the cabin and told Mom. She said, ‘Barbara! You have such an imagination! There are no bears on the island.’ I went to my Dad. He said, ‘You’re going to have to be brave.’ But Grampa said, ‘Come with me.’ And so I followed him to the strawberry patch where he stood with his arms crossed over his considerable belly. I knew no bear would get past my Grampa!

As a Grandmother of three, I understand now. Grampa didn’t have to create a responsible citizen in me. He just had to stand by my side, big and strong, and believe what I said. He will always be my hero.

Also... I call Mexico the Country of my Heart. I’ve loved it for 50 years. Mom and Dad lived in Manzanillo for thirty years, and I’ve made a pilgrimage every year. Now I go to San Miguel de Allende for a month to write. The Mexican culture is multi-layered and complex, generous in spirit and respectful of the generations. I have the deepest respect and affection for the people of Mexico, which I did my best to portray with accuracy in both spirit and detail.”

Three adult actors and six young performers presented REMEMBERING ABUELITA for nearly 80 audience members. Among the young performers was Stephanie Santoyo-Bustos, a 7th grader from Milwaukee School of Languages.

Stephanie has been involved at First Stage for five years—participating in advanced musical theater Academy classes. Stephanie participated in First Stage’s Literacy Plus programming during the school day when she was attending Kluge Elementary School. When she heard that First Stage was also facilitating the Kluge Community Learning Center (CLC) after-school, she voluntarily chose to attend. Through participating in the CLC programming, Stephanie learned that there were scholarships available to attend Academy classes, and she did so as a Family Partnership Program student during the 2016 spring break and summer. From her time in Academy, she learned that there was another opportunity—the Academy’s Touring Company (see previous story). Entering its fourth year, the Touring Company produces an original 30-minute show created by Touring Company members to perform at community events and schools.

Stephanie’s story is one of youth empowerment. She comes from a family in which she and her siblings are the only English-speakers, and she often acts as the family representative and translator. As a natural leader, she sought out the opportunities she wanted and took the initiative to go for them. Stephanie shared: “The more and more I was exposed to First Stage, the more and more I wanted to become further involved. My experiences with First Stage has brought out the person I am today. They let me become a better me—a less shy me. The more I was involved, the more self-confident I became. Touring Company has been a wonderful experience and I love how we’re sharing the message that we can be the change we want to be in the world. It’s true.”

We caught up with Stephanie after the reading of REMEMBERING ABUELITA:

What was your favorite thing about working on the reading of REMEMBERING ABUELITA?

REMEMBERING ABUELITA reading performance
Stephanie: I really enjoyed getting to know my cast mates and working with the director, Karen Estrada. I also liked learning more about Hispanic culture and idea of how our loved ones never leave us. It’s beautiful to think that the spirits of our loved ones are carried on the wings of butterflies.

What did you enjoy the most about the story?

Stephanie: I enjoyed the culture of this story the most and I really like that First Stage is putting a variety of cultures into their productions.

Is there anything in the story that relates to your life?

Stephanie: Though I didn’t know either of my grandmothers, I think the story is still relatable because it’s comforting to know that our loved ones remain close to us in spirit. I loved how the memories throughout the story brought Abuelita back.

What did you learn from the reading experience?

Stephanie: I was scared to audition for this reading but I’m so glad I did because this experience was so much fun and I feel like I really grew as a person because of it. I haven’t been in a production before and I thought it was cool to take all of the acting techniques I’ve learned in Academy classes and apply them in the performance.

Is REMEMBERING ABUELITA a play you would like to see First Stage produce? Why?

Stephanie: Oh, yes! Very much! And, I would also love to be in it. (Proverbial wink). I think it is so important to show a variety of cultures on stage and this production does that.


First Stage hosts an On The Table MKE discussion
The reading coincided with the Greater Milwaukee Foundation’s On the Table MKE initiative. More than 5,100 people participated citywide in mealtime conversations. First Stage’s Community Engagement Manager, Lucia Lozano, hosted a table discussion and ten people gathered over tamales, salads, tropical fruit and honest conversation. First Stage thanks Greater Milwaukee Foundation for starting the conversation!




No comments:

Powered by Blogger.